The Next Step
3 days exploring how you could be involved in bringing God's word to those without it.
What: The Next Step
When: Friday 21 - 23 April 2017
Where: St Andrew's Church in Cheadle Hulme near Manchester
Please register your interest.
Cost*: The event is free of charge, but you will have to arrange your own food and accommodation.
The Next Step is designed for people who are interested in being part of God’s mission by making the Bible available in everyone’s heart language, but don’t know how they could be involved. We will explore both language related options and non-language support roles at home and overseas. Such roles might include IT support, teaching or project management roles as well as joining the team that are part of the Bible translation movement through literacy, language survey, Scripture impact and linguistics.
We will look in some depth at what is needed to make Bible translations clear, natural, accurate and acceptable to local language communities. Here are some of the things we will do:
- Discover what members of The Next Step team contributed overseas or at home to some of the stages of a Bible translation project
- Find out about cutting-edge strategies like working with language clusters, capacity building and ensuring sustainability
- Analyse some of the current challenges for the work of the Bible translation movement
- Explore the privileges and impact of multi-cultural team-work
- Discuss how to promote on-going communication between you and your sending church or churches.
We are so passionate about this last point that we strongly encourage you to invite your church leader, elder or a mission committee member to join you at this event even if it is just for 24 hours. This is not only your next step into overseas mission; it could be your church's next step in responding to the Great Commission. Together we can help you discover what God is doing in Bible translation, and what part you could play.
There will be a wide range of Wycliffe staff available who can share their experience of different aspects of the work around the world.
Each day, we will spend time in worship and we will study the Bible together in order to discover what Scripture has to say about God’s heart for mission. There will be plenty of time for prayer and reflection, for questions and discussion. We want to enable you to leave with all the information you need to work out with your church what the next step might be.
- Invitation for your church leader (email us for information)
- Register online for 'The Next Step'
- Back to Events